Monday, October 20, 2014

This week while I am away

For Introduction to Philosophy this week I love arguing about both Berkeley and Hume. They are really significant. And I take a strange tack with Berkeley since I interpret what he means by spirit as energy. I believe he and Leibniz were way ahead of their time and people thought they were crazy. Today we know Berkeley was right and material substance as Locke thought of it does not exist. If you notice this point in my blog before the discussion you might bring up what it would mean about his philosophy if what they meant by spirit is what we mean today by energy. Hume on the other hand persuades everyone to become a skeptic by taking empiricism to its extreme conclusion - the only thing I can know is what I am experiencing at this very moment. In History of Philosophy we start Augustine so this is where Christian dogma gets its structure. What great material. Sorry I will miss the discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment