Saturday, August 22, 2015

The End of the Tour

So I am seriously steamed with David Foster Wallace. Kat and I watched The End of the Tour today at the Century 16 and it was just like his book The Infinite Jest. Smart, witty, and profoundly in need of my help. Weren't there any philosophy professors in his life that could have gotten him over the unhappy consciousness stage of development? Hegel described this back in 1807 for goodness sake. Kierkegaard famously got trapped in it. It must feel so good to some people to be so depressed. Heck, I remember that period in my own life. It really was exhilarating in its own despair. But thanks to good teachers they guided me through it. What is depressing me now, and making me angry with Wallace, is why we know how to do this but fail for so many young people. Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment