Thursday, April 13, 2017

Thursday classes

For Early Modern Philosophy (which we clearly have gone beyond the early modern....) discussing Quine primarily as the last or next to last cohort in philosophy where personal contact with the greats was a necessary key to becoming a "great" yourself - as Daniel Dennett with Quine for example, leads me to ask how a person can discern priorities today since there is so much available - it is like deciding what part of the ocean you should swim in or where you should fish. How do you prioritize your own studies and interests today? For Introduction to Philosophy we discussed Nietzsche and my question is how do you feel about being an Ubermensch? For Introduction to Philosophy this evening we discussed Marx in the first half and the quiz question was what do you think is the best use of our time in class? Should I suggest videos to watch prior to class and then we can discuss them in an open forum instead of a lecture? The second half of the evening was on Nietzsche and my question is how do you feel about being an Ubermensch?

1 comment:

  1. Class
    a.) The way the class is formatted now works for me.
    b.) I would rather have the video in class along with the lecture, this will help me absorb the information more clearly.
    Nietzsche
    I am a "Ubermensch", though, the older I get, it is more spirit of an "Ubermnsch" than brawn since all things are fleeting since we are made of the sands of the earth and will return to the sands of the earth in our short life span in the face of the all time in the universe.

    ReplyDelete