Sunday, September 3, 2017

Why Roger Scruton?

When asked which contemporary philosopher I most thought thought along the same lines that I do, the first philosopher that occurred to me was Sir Roger Scruton. This little video of a discussion with him regarding his book How to be a Conservative strikes me as answering my own question why I do think this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eD9RDTl6tM In short, I think he is a rebel. He naturally rebelled as a youth (and so did I) but what we rebelled against was the wave of rebellion in our youth against the status quo. But we learned what the values are that we thought important and identified with the status quo as a result. So to rebel we had to rebel against those who where rebelling against what made our civilization so great. Well, heck, that is me right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment