Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Introduction to Humanities II

Have you slain your Jabberwock? Today the theory we discussed was Feminism and I used my lecture notes from a presentation I did in 2000. But things have changed and Feminism is even more out of vogue today than it was in 2000 when I said Feminism is Dead. The art to investigate through the eyes of the feminist was Northern Renaissance. This felt like a dull thud in class since there seems to be little to critique. There ought to be but what? So instead we talked about the Tim Burton movie Coraline, Alice in Wonderland, and even a bit on the movie Brave, all of which demonstrate that female characters are taught to control their own lives. But I did discuss Jane Austen also, and it is intriguing that she recommends women act stupid around men if they want to control the situation. How does that work?

No comments:

Post a Comment