Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A note on some previous blogs: when I use the speech to text function of my Nexus the blogs tend to be a bit scrappy - philosophers' names tend to be difficult, for example. I discover some words that make me look grammatically literate drop off. Just saying. Typing this one! Coming from class just now introducing Jesus using the Front Line Jesus to Christ presentation for part of the class. My main emphasis was on the variety of interpretations of who Jesus was and how that is reflected in the variety of religious sects that refer to themselves as Christians. I mention Harold Bloom's "The American Religion" and point out that he considers most sects in the US that call themselves Christians as pagans. (I try to remain neutral in this while still pointing out why he thinks so.) Today, despite my efforts I had one student ask a question that clearly indicates I need to explain further, since she wondered if she should check with a preacher to get a good answer! I asked what preacher? She obviously figured it did not matter, if they were a Christian preacher they would know "the answer". Obviously I did not convey the idea that there would be as many answers as preachers depending on the tradition of the sect and school that they attended. Hmmm. Must work on this. Next class we do my interpretation of Saint Augustine.

No comments:

Post a Comment