Thursday, September 27, 2012

Another philosophical week has gone. Meetings for Friday of course and tutoring on Saturday, but the courses are finished until Monday evening. So was much accomplished? I think so. I made inquiries concerning how my use of the materials was appreciated by everyone and the responses are all positive. This week I used a Betty White and Johnny Carson skit about Adam and Eve and tied that in with a reading from Mark Twain - Eve's Diary, all to introduce Augustine's interpretation of what the Fall represented. This followed by the crucifixion scene from The Passion to discuss the sacrifice and how Augustine interpreted that. At one point I also showed the entire TED talk that Steven Pinker gave concerning The Better Angels of Our Nature - and that violence has declined. I argued a main reason for the decline is the growth in acceptance of the main Christian principle of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment